3.28.2010

The Fountain of Truth

  So far in my life, I would like to think I've managed to stay outside the stereotypical box  that accompanies my age group.
    When I was 18, I did not straighten the life out of my hair. I was not a social addict. I was able to see past the screen on my phone. I savored other "amaaazing" beverages besides Frappuccinos (I can't tell you how much I hate that term) and strawberry smoothies. And I was aware that there is a world outside the Jordan Creek Panera.
       Generally speaking, so far, so good. But that doesn't mean I'm home free. Lately I can't seem to stop "what if"-ing.

 When I turn 46, am I going to be able to discuss other things besides gardening and my experience with Slim Fast? Will I tuck blouses into my jeans? Will I take pride in using coupons, and will it take me 6 minutes to decide I want a vanilla latte?? Will I be able to write less than 9-sentence posts on social networking sites?

  When I turn 76, am I going to be that lady in the front row at a Gaither concert, obliviously clapping off-beat to "Roses will Bloom Again"? Will I greet the dawn before it greets me?? Will I take 18 minutes to decide I want chicken salad, black coffee and a lemon bar? Will the needle on my speedometer ever live to see the speed limit? What kind of sweaters will my wardrobe claim? Will I believe everything I'm told?

   I totally get that aging is a gift, but the mannerisms-- it worries me, you guys.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I am 50 and I like to write rather long facebook status updates............however, one should note that often I have to edit these because facebook will not allow me to write as much as I want, thus I use the "note" function of my profile.

    I do not tuck my shirt into my pants and I am happy to say I don't tease my bangs..........although if I had long enough hair and my mother had her way, I would.

    ReplyDelete