6.01.2010

Violation Station

Last night was a bit of an ironic one.
(And let me state for the record: I don't usually stay up this late like I used to, so don't jump all over me for that.)
      It was around midnight when I was driving south-bound down Fleur, on my way to meet my friend Rachel at Hy-Vee. While still a couple blocks away, I was stopped at a red light next to another driver. An orange SUV turned left onto Fleur veeery slowly. Orange SUV turned into the other driver's lane but was still almost halfway in mine. At first I assumed this person was indecisive or not paying attention, so I gave a few seconds of grace, when OSUV swerved into MY lane. I HOOOONKED as loud as Warren (my car) would screech. When OSUV seemed to have no reaction whatsoever, I suspected a certain "influence" was at play. He continued to swerve in and out of lanes with no warning.
     Along came my turn to go to Hy-Vee, but my instincts objected. If OSUV was, in fact, drunk off his/her arse, no way could I just let him/her go-- so on I drove. Suddenly he/she took off and sped down the street faster than a cat in a thunderstorm. And so did I. Sure, I felt a little guilty for speeding, but I figured if ever there was a reason this was it. When OSUV drove into a median, I was good and certain he/she was trashed out of his/her mind. Without another moment of hesitation, I was on the phone with 911 giving the scoop. I presented all the information I had, including the plate number. At that point it was out of my hands. I had to let go, turn back around and go meet up with Rachel.
     Fast forward to a few hours later. I left Rachel's house around 3 am. When I was 6 blocks away from home, I was eager to arrive since the evening's earlier experience left me uncomfortable driving so late. OK, so I guess I was a little too eager. I got pulled over. 15 minutes and $74 later....
     I will say the officer went VERY easy on me and didn't fine me NEARLY as hard as he could and should
have. I'm not saying I didn't deserve a ticket or it's unfair that I got pulled over, but I can't help but be a bit annoyed. On Fleur, I had gone 2 miles out of my way and undoubtedly risked my life to get OSUV off the road-- and the likelihood that he/she ever met a pair of handcuffs that night is slim.
      Evidently karma stepped out for the holiday weekend. I don't know-- you tell me if you find all this to be poetic justice or cruel irony. I believe it to be more toward the latter.
     Oh, and dad, if you're reading this-- sorry. 0:)

2 comments:

  1. Verrry interesting. Way to go, Good Citizen Paigey! More cruel irony, but hey at least you did your part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shame on you, a ticket? micah told me, but i thought id comment anyway... he never told me what time in the morning you got it though. any more craziness and you are going to need a curfew... :-)

    ReplyDelete