6.16.2010

Van the Man

    I finally get to do a little brag blogging! Today is the birthday of my father and friend. Often times I hope for the opportunity to tell people why I think he's so wonderful, and June 17th throws me the perfect pitch-- but where on earth do I begin??
    My dad is the epitome of all that stuff Christ is always saying: "Turn the other cheek. Love. Be kind. Be honest. Be good. Be giving/ caring/ wise/ disciplined/ hard-working/ merciful." Sheesh-- I can barely think of a strength he does not  portray.
    I don't know what translation of the Bible he owns, but it much really push being goofy on its readers. He's such an oddball. Like, he thinks peanut butter pairs with everything. Have I ever told you the one where I found him eating peanut butter and chicken broth out of a saucepan ?? No one has made me laugh harder than that man. Once we were touring a house my brother was thinking about buying, and my dad stole ice cubes out of the owners' freezer... because he loves eating ice. Who does that???
         He knows when it's time to laugh and be dad. Just as well, he knows when it's time to step up and be my father, and motivate me to step up as well. In all the jet black moments in my life, I can't think of one that was absent my father. He never fails to set a premium example when he's at church, at work, or even on his own couch. My dad and I have been through hell together on more than one occasion. Thanks to him, it has always been a round trip.
    I will long count on looking to him to seek a model of the balance I've talked about recently. He has found so much balance in his years: husband and father. Accomplishment and humility. Accountability and encouragement. Love and strength. Loyalty and candor.  Justice and mercy.
       One June morning I landed in his cradling arms in a pink blanket-- and every day since those same arms have consisently reached, directed, and embraced me, and inspired me to make better use of my own limbs.
     Happy Birthday to my hero, who is loved and admired by his community-- and probably getting a little embarassed by now. ;)
                         

                                                           He's a Jolly Good Fellow


  

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Paigey!! Your Dad will be humbled and pleased with your kind words. I'm honored to know both of you and to call you friend!! love you!!

    ReplyDelete