4.15.2010

Casa____a

  The other day, a middle aged gentleman came in for a cuppa coffee. I recall the house blend that day was Sierra Madre-- a lovely dark roast with a subtle nutty undertone.
  "Sierra Madre--", said the customer, "that's the name of a Humphrey Bogart movie. I bet you didn't know that." I, in fact, did not know this.
   He went on, "Can you name his most famous movie?"
  I don't know what to tell you. I'm really not familiar with his work, or even movies from that era. I thought for a minute and admitted I did not know the answer, when he told me (it's Casablanca, by the way).
   I have to tell you, this conversation irked me just a little. In my mind, he was tip-toeing just a bit too close to the border of 'condesending',just because I'm not a connoisseur of "the talkies". Different generations are variously savvied. Fact'a life. I really wanted to come back at him with:
  "What does Flava Flav always wear around his neck? When does the last season of 'The Hills' start? Name ONE Usher song."
    That's what I thought.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly Maigaard4/15/10, 3:18 PM

    Should have said it......he probably would have thought that was hilarious as well~~

    It is true. I often give my girls history lessons without meaning to. I lived through it, you didn't, this is how it made me feel. Or how I saw it through the eyes of a child.

    Like ask me how an 8 year old deals with hearing that Martin Luther King Jr has been assassinated and then not long after, Robert Kennedy?

    Ask me what a nine year old thinks of men walking on the moon?

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete