10.09.2009

Things that go plink in the night

  Well, I seem to be a bit delayed in my posting. For those of you who don't know, I am currently in the process of moving! I will be on my own for the first time, and there's a lot to do. This all happened practically overnight, so I'm a little ill-prepared. Lots to do, lots to buy, lots to get used to.
    So far I know that I am acutely on edge about the little cricks and creaks I hear when I'm all alone. I am in a duplex so I have neighbors that will cause the occasional clangs and clamours. Last night, my dad and I were over there about to leave. We decided first we would make absolutely sure the front door locks were working properly. I stood on the front porch and propped myself against the door frame as he stood inside to check the lock and jiggle the deadbolt. Then we heard it...
   *plink*
My heart jumped. He looked up. "You heard it too??" I said. "Yes," he replied, "I think it was just the heater downstairs." Relief returned to my quivering heart and his eyes returned to the deadbolt. Then we heard it again.
  *plonk*
 "Oh, no," I thought to myself, "This is no coincidence. How can  I live in such a dangerous place all alone?? Surely this was a huge mistake." My dad looked up.
  "Are you leaning against the doorbell?"
     I was.

4 comments:

  1. Paige's proud Dad10/9/09, 2:06 PM

    I remeber the first time my Mom and Dad went to an evening event without getting me a baby sitter. I had told them I was a big-boy now and didn't need one anymore. Mom said "Are you sure?" I laughed and assured them I wasn't a little kid any more. They left and everything was great fun....till the sun went down and the pipes of our plumbing and boiler furnace started warming up, clinking and clanking. I think I'd heard the same clinking and clanking before, but somehow it's different when you're the only one there. I went to bed, crawled under the covers and guess what? I'm alive today!!!

    Paige's Proud Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a crab named Carrie. Her personality is pretty bland, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the move went well? And are you getting used to a different environment? It's funny how things you didn't hear before, suddenly you hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. been there! trust me, after a couple of weeks and getting familar with the normal sounds of your house, it will be all good. so is my guest room ready? how about the closet? :) you're the coolest cousin ever, paige! congratulations and i can't wait to see it for myself! love to you...mwas!
    kathy

    ReplyDelete